Stop Eating Off Others' Plates

We've all done it, right? We're all guilty (hanging heads in shame). When your family doesn't eat all that is on their plate, we eat it. It's a mom thing. Hey, it's not going to waste, not going in the trash, not going out in the garbage for the local outside critters to dig into at night, right?
When I was a little girl, my grandmother and my mom used to tell me to clean my plate, "Think of all the starving children out there who have nothing to eat and you aren't eating all of your food!" Aghast! How dare I not eat everything on my plate? What was I thinking?! I'm sure if you are around my age (not telling, nope not telling), you heard that from your grandmother or mother or as I, both of them. I am also Italian, so I had better finish that huge plate of food that was dumped in front of me, lest my grandmother would think it wasn't good and that she was a bad cook or even worse, she would think I was sick and bring out the castor oil (run for the hills!!! that stuff is AWFUL!). So, how do we stop the habit of eating? It is a habit that has to be broken. Think about habits you have stopped doing. C'mon think about it. How do you break habits?
To break a bad habit, we first have to acknowledge that we have a bad habit. Then, we have to be aware of when we partake in the bad habit. That is the hard part as a habit is something we don't even think about... it comes naturally without a thought. So, we have to instill a thought pattern that sets off an alarm of sorts when we eat off others plates or when we eat when we are not hungry. Think about it, when you have dinner with your family, at the end of the meal, you are full, but still you nibble the rest of the food off your family's plates and in some instances wolf down their leftovers. Again, becoming aware to stop eating when you are full is something that is learned and it won't happen overnight, but don't get discouraged, tomorrow is another day. You can start again, so no worries, right? Exactly right.
So first, be aware of finishing off other's plate of food. Don't sit around the dinner table talking or "relaxing" when everyone has left the table and nibble off those unfinished plates of food. Start composting and throw all your scraps in there or just simple take it straight to the trash and dump it. Set a timer to get the dishes in the dishwasher or washed by hand. If you just throw the scraps away, that will be quicker than you eating the leftover food. Think of any little trick that can make you more aware of eating off others' plates. You can stop yourself when you start doing this and the process of not doing it will become your new, good habit. Then, you can look back and remember when and not feel regret at all as you will be a new you, in control of bad habits and overeating!
For more information about this subject and author, Wil Scott, please visit http://www.believepositive.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment